Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: username:test and password:test not working on new install  (Read 495 times)

matthiasrawles

username:test and password:test not working on new install
« on: November 08, 2012, 12:27:18 AM »

Hello guys,

I have installed sNews1.7 and I get the initial home page fine. Check it here at www.jackrawlestest.co.uk

But then when I try to login using the 'test' 'test' username and password it doesn't work.

What am I doing wrong? Any ideas?

Thanks so much for your help,

Matthias

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
Re: username:test and password:test not working on new install
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 03:00:33 PM »

Hi Matthias, and welcome to sNews.

Using phpMyAdmin from your domain's CPanel... check the value for "username" and "password" in the settings table of your database. They should each contain an encrypted (md5 hash) string and they should be identical. For "test", it should be- 098f6bcd4621d373cade4e832627b4f6 If this is the value for both username and passsord, "test" should get you logged in. If it is not, then replace it with this one.

Here is one of several online tools you can use to encrypt a readable password as an md5 hash string, or decrypt an existing md5 hash string back to a readable password.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 03:02:14 PM by Keyrocks »
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

matthiasrawles

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 09:34:05 PM »

Hello Keyrocks,

Thank you so much for your reply.

My username and password settings are both 098f6bcd4621d373cade4e832627b4f6 yet I still cannot login.

Could you try and login for me? I have tried it on 4 different computers now but not one worked.

This is really confusing me, could it be something to do with my host Fatcow? I doubt it would be though, because they meet all the requirements.

Thanks again for you help!

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 04:25:42 PM »

This is really strange. I've never encountered this before. The login panel works fine but doesn't log in and doesn't show an error message. I do get the "no content found" message when I try to access the Administration - and we know the database connection is good since we have content showing.

Open your snews.php file and edit the two strings around lines 20-21 to enable error reporting, then refesh the file on your server... try logging in again and let's see if we get any error messages showing up.
Remove the 2 forward slashes from the first string to enable it and add them to the second one to disable it...
error_reporting(E_ALL ^ E_NOTICE); // #1 Report all Errors
//error_reporting(0); // #2 No Error Reporting
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

studio

• My Blog sNews 1.7
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 06:52:27 PM »

check the index.php file encoding
may have utf-8 and must be utf-8 without bom

I had the same symptom at home ...
My sNews 1.7 only polish

matthiasrawles

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 07:55:01 PM »

Hello both,

Thanks again for your replies.

Keyrocks, I have done what you suggested. The snews.php now has error reporting on. However, nothing has changed? Any ideas?

Studio, whats 'without bom'? Sorry I don't understand what you mean.

Maybe I should just try a clean install again?

Many thanks,

Matthias

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 08:52:42 PM »

Keyrocks, I have done what you suggested. The snews.php now has error reporting on. However, nothing has changed? Any ideas?

OK, if it didn't show us anything, switch it back to what it was.  :)
When you created your new empty database, what "collation" did you choose from the drop-down to the right of the database name field, and what was in the "MySQL connection collation" drop-down below it?

When I create databases for use with bilingual English/French language (haven't done it for any other language), I choose utf8_unicode_ci (at the bottom of the drop-down list) for both fields.

In the default download package, there is no encoding declaration in the <head> of the index.php (template) file so you should not have to concern yourself with that.

You should not need to do a complete new install, but if you didn't use utf8_unicode_ci when you created your database (before populating it with tables), then it might be worth dropping your database, creating a new one (same name, etc) using utf8_unicode_ci and populating it again. See if that works.

BOM is the acronym for "Byte Order Mark". See: BOM - Bug #10573
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 08:57:25 PM by Keyrocks »

matthiasrawles

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 06:08:42 PM »

Hello again Keyrocks,

Thanks again for your reply.

I tried everything I could think of and scrolled through the forum for hours but I still cannot figure this out.

I checked my database and it was already set to utf8_unicode_ci. Even so, I reinstalled the sNews1.7 package on a new database. Still the same problem!

One point I did notice was that I have to enable the htaccess file. If I don't, I can view the Home page, but not the login page. I get a 404 on the login page. But if I enable the htaccess file I can view the home and login pages, but cannot go any further.

I am stumped by this!

Tropy

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 12:11:29 AM »

witch hoster you use?
and witch modules for apache/ php ar set?

or witch lang you speak? my englisch is not the best ("yeah stupid german!")

perhaps use team viewer so i can see how are you done all the things!?
and help you!

mfg tropy
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 12:20:49 AM by Tropy »

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 09:47:35 PM »

Hello again Keyrocks, Thanks again for your reply.
I tried everything I could think of and scrolled through the forum for hours but I still cannot figure this out.

I checked my database and it was already set to utf8_unicode_ci. Even so, I reinstalled the sNews1.7 package on a new database. Still the same problem!

One point I did notice was that I have to enable the htaccess file. If I don't, I can view the Home page, but not the login page. I get a 404 on the login page. But if I enable the htaccess file I can view the home and login pages, but cannot go any further.

I am stumped by this!

Well I am stumped too and I wish I had more suggestions at this point but I don't. As I noted earlier, I've never come across this problem before. It must have something to do with your hosting provider because sNews works great on any server I've put it on... and I've been working with sNews for a tad longer than 6 years now.

We know your database is connecting and working OK since we are able to view content generated from the database. We also know the .htaccess file is functioning since links are working fine to other pages including the login page.

The only roadblock we have is that - for some reason -  the script that should be checking your login info against the username and password settings in the settings table and logging you in... is not logging you in.

One thing you might do is download a copy of the .htaccess file as it is on your host server, open it in your code editor, and do a line-by-line comparison with a default file that came with the default package... and see if there are any changes being made to your file by the host server. That has been known to happen now and then. I use WinMerge for this... free and great for finding differences between code files.

Brian

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 03:45:06 AM »

Just to add to this if the title template tag is not directly below your head tag it can generate an amazing amount of errors everything from database logins redirecting weird to your style sheet being stripped from all pages when you click a link, ive even seen images vanish from pages due to that misplaced title tag, then again if its not a custom design that you uploaded my typing this was a complete waste of reading time :)

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 06:31:49 PM »

Mmmm, I'm having the exact same problem... I haven't been at this for quite some time, and is being asked to retrieve/reset a password on an old site I did. So as far as I remember I go at it, access the DB changes the pass and user string to be that MD5 hash stringy thingy up there wich should result in "test", and I'm so happy I remembered this... But alas, my 'appiness isn't longlasting as the login fails...

I would very much appriciate assistans, Bob, Doug, Fredde, anywhoooo might have input here. All things mentioned here is checked and thus far nothing. Same host as I've always used, nothing wrong with "bom", .htaccess, or anything else... bugger me, what the frack is this ?

this site have been up and running, and everyone involved have been able to logon, but this is now forgotten, by me changed to test/test, and there isn't anything happening...

With sincere hopes of aid, and a wish for a 'a'appy weekend to everyone.

Patric.
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 10:09:30 PM »

Hi Pat ... welcome back!
With I had time to help you on this one but I'm off in a hurry for now. Sounds strange though, I've never had this problem yet so I probably woudn't be able to offer any clues at this point. Hope someone else can.

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 05:52:19 PM »

Yo, D... thanks, although never really left ;) Just haven't been active at all, nor will I since my new (sorta) job is quite demanding. This problem is due to an old pal who's website I did, way back, had a problem and I thought I would fix it in a hurry as it only is about changing the strings in the DB.... NOT !!!

Ah, well... Still hoping for a friendly soul to assist me, and possibly some other bugger not being able to change/reset/renew passwords via DB string changes...
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

nukpana

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 10:46:34 AM »

Pat, I would double check to make sure you don't have a space when you are entering in the hashed 'test' string.  Even better may be to delete the 2 setting lines and re-insert via sql:
Code: [Select]
INSERT INTO `settings` VALUES (27, 'username', '098f6bcd4621d373cade4e832627b4f6');
INSERT INTO `settings` VALUES (28, 'password', '098f6bcd4621d373cade4e832627b4f6');