Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Author Topic: Social sharing buttons?  (Read 275 times)

mihomes

Social sharing buttons?
« on: October 19, 2012, 12:48:00 AM »

I have yet to try out SNEWS, but will be trying it out tonight/this weekend to see if it will work in my situation.  I am fairly certain the template should be easy to change, have found a sitemap creation mod here on the forum... BUT... what about social sharing buttons on the articles (G+, Facebook, Twitter, etc)?

Is there anything on here and maybe I just didn't notice it?  Has anyone done this?

If not, and remember I have yet to look at the code or install, how hard would it be adding in my own function and template location to do this?  I would assume fairly simple based off the number of addons and mods in the forum.

Also, I was surprised not to see any author integration.  Google is now using a rel=author to link authors G+ profile to their article.  Two reasons this is good... 1, the author takes legitmate ownership of the article and 2, you can have guest authors/posts on your site.

Looking forward to responses and diving into this soon.

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
Re: Social sharing buttons?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 03:22:58 PM »

There are a few social button integration mods in the 1.7 Mods area (and probably other areas as well, like Programming/Mods in progress) but you'll need to look for them yourself. Off the top of my head I can recall a couple of Tweet button mods and a Facebook Like button integration. Try using the Search function to begin with.

Author integration isn't that hard to do, it just requires one or two database field(s) plus a few additions in the administrative functions and processing plus in a couple of other places in snews.php (depending on how extensive you want it to be). I have a working model in progress with a theme I'm doing. The theme isn't ready for viewing yet though and I don't really know when it'll be ready, however the author functionality is an easy* thing to do.

* "Easy" is relative.

mihomes

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 05:45:46 PM »

Thanks for the reply Fred.  I played around with snews last night and have been compiling a list of things I want to do.  Looks like I just need to get familiar with the variables and how it is structured first.

I will take a deeper look into the forum today and see what all I can find.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 06:03:23 PM »

Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU