Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Insert creative title here  (Read 618 times)

Silent

Insert creative title here
« on: March 17, 2012, 01:22:24 AM »

Hi.

I'm Michael Iline and I enjoy programming and designing.

I'm hoping to learn and eventually become a freelance web designer. So far I like sNews a lot I will probably never use WordPress ever again.

sNews is pretty much everything I was ever looking for in a CMS - First off, it's simple and light. Those are some of the best properties you can have in a program. Second, unlike other CMSes, it seems like it's as fun for the developer/designer as it is for the user. I'm very glad I found it.

Check out my website -
http://husky.co.cc/
(Free domains rock. Period.)

Well, that's about it for now. I'm happy I joined the forums and stuff :)

philmoz

• High flyer
  • ULTIMATE member
    • fiddle 'n fly
Re: Insert creative title here
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 04:20:12 PM »

Don't dump the big cms's, especially since you plan on web designing, which will mean you will need to become familiar with their templating systems.

sNews is a great startpoint for producing a bloat free solution, and getting head around php/mysql.

However, it is the large cms's that will always have the advantage, as they also have a very large test and feed back population, and independent devs coming up with plugin solutions that can in turn be adapted to suit a requirement.
Getting hands dirty with sNews will help demystify the code you may need to tweak ;)
Of all the things I have lost, it is my mind that I miss the most.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
Re: Welcome to Mike Iline
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 05:38:08 PM »

Hi. I'm Michael Iline and I enjoy programming and designing.

sNews is pretty much everything I was ever looking for in a CMS - First off, it's simple and light. Those are some of the best properties you can have in a program. Second, unlike other CMSes, it seems like it's as fun for the developer/designer as it is for the user. I'm very glad I found it.

Welcome Michael. I hope you enjoy your time with sNews. I joined these forums almost 6 years ago after working (first) with PHP-Nuke and searching for a simpler, non-bloated CMS to work with. I've continued to work with other larger CMSs too but sNews is still my favourite and primary development project.

As Philmoz noted (above), the larger CMSs do have an advantage. This is largely because they have more 'curb appeal' to users who do not want to spend time on core file programming & modification... just looking for a good, well-supported, user-friendly, versatile, open-source product that has good reliable roots.

I continue exploring others - like W-P and Drupal, and even going back into the most recent php-Nuke package now and then - to learn from and when a client wants a site based on those platforms. Over the last couple of years, I also got side-tracked into learning to work with a very bloated asp.net web application (a purchased, proprietary package) out of necessity (as its lead system admin).

Over the past 6 years or so I have explored and expanded upon several existing mods and addons and developed a few more of my own favourites, and have implemented many in sites used by clients and myself.

My ongoing objective is to complete ONE sNews 1.7 project that contains all of the patches, and all of the modifications I prefer to have in one package. I'm almost finished the Single User version and will then use that to create an MU version as well. These two will then, very likely, meet most of my CMS needs for the rest of my life.  8)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 02:25:17 PM by Keyrocks »
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Silent

Re: Insert creative title here
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 09:14:30 PM »

I have to admit you two have a point.

But anyway, as awesome as the other CMSes are I think I'll stick with sNews for personal use and testing for now. At least until I feel I'm ready for something more advanced.

As about getting my hands dirty, sNews seems to be very well coded so it shouldn't be an issue to read and understand the code. Tweaking it, however, is another story ;)