Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [THEME] Looking for interested beta testers  (Read 2938 times)

nukpana

Re: [THEME] Looking for interested beta testers
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 01:41:23 PM »

Quote from: nukpana
Let me know if you need help with that...
Thanks, will PM you about it ... done more testing and it seems the issue is infact with multi-cats but I'll be damned if I can figure out why... As noted earlier, PRE_ additions should all be in place.

Re. SEF - I see the point. I didn't mess with the order because people will (I assume) be used to having sef title next to title, but that's no real argument for not changing... I'm experimenting a bit locally and will see how I feel about it ;)

The point about the workflow comes from the order that things appear when you view an article as a "normal" user, e.g. Title > Dateline > Article image > Summary > Article text > Associated links > Comments. But again, that's no real excuse, it just felt like a natural workflow. But I'm experimenting with your suggested positioning locally (same as with sef title).

Cheers
Pm'd you back with the fixes.  Yes, it was mulit-cats PRE's. 

Re: workflow & SEF title - If you are doing a rewrite then do it well and focus on what the main function is, then secondary functions should be "secondary"

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 03:46:07 PM »

@Philippe - what if you want to add an aside within the article? Or a section? Or both? :P Mark is a good point though. I'll see how many I can fit in there. (Figcaption comes with figure, it's not a button on its own.) Technically you could add most of the "new" elements as buttons...

@Jason - thanks for the fix. The admin rewrite is well done below the surface, I believe. Just the fact that html_input now is usable is worth something ... imho. ;) Of course there's more to be done, that's obvious.

Thanks!

Sven

• ULTIMATE member
  • Chasing MY bugs!
    • hiseo.fr - rédacteur Web
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 04:14:11 PM »

Figcaption is an option to Figure, isn’t it?

Yeap, you’re right, you can have Section to split an article into groups of content with their proper headings, but, it might be confusing for a HTML5 noob.

Regarding Aside, I don’t see this tag in articles. Maybe for an extra-box related with the content of the article?

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 05:12:40 PM »

Yes, figcaption is included in the figure button. Press figure and you get the option to enter a figcaption text as well as figure content (it's in my local version, will put it in the online one soon). Don't know if it's appropriate to add a url prompt for figure content since it could be anything (canvas, video, img etc).

Regarding aside, as I've understood it aside can either function as a "sidebar" element and should as such be separate from the article both in layout and content - in that configuration it belongs in the index.php file (or possibly in snews.php), or as a side element that is related to the article content and as such can be nested within the article or positioned outside of but in close relation to the article. That was (if I understand correctly) the original intent of the spec. So both uses would be "right" - e.g you can have the global aside and you can have related content in an aside element within the article.

This is where theming gets complicated: I can't assume that theme users will be HTML5 noobs, or that they don't really know what they're doing. On the other hand I can't assume they know exactly what they're doing either. So I think having an aside button could help. I mean, personally I never use the editor buttons but that doesn't mean they aren't useful. You know? ;)

So, a few html5 buttons or no html5 buttons or many html5 buttons?
Which ones are widely useful and which ones are not?
Anyone with an opinion, please weigh in.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 05:16:00 PM by Fred K »

nukpana

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 06:47:25 PM »

Fred, for the end user/author, I think if you keep the HTML5 buttons, then this is where a better tooltip description would be helpful instead of just "Insert Aside Element" - for those who don't really know about these elements.

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 08:02:10 PM »

Yes, absolutely, it's on the to-do list (which is getting looong), including better tooltips for other functions as well.
I'm thinking that the theme help doc, when complete, will help with that as well - but better tooltips are needed.

Regarding the admin area, if you have any visual guide for how you'd like to see it, feel free to share. I've altered a few things and I'm starting to see the value of having certain items under Customize rather than in the top box, but need to do more testing. Will put up the revised version soon so others can try it too.

Cheers

nukpana

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 02:04:49 AM »

Regarding the admin area, if you have any visual guide for how you'd like to see it, feel free to share. I've altered a few things and I'm starting to see the value of having certain items under Customize rather than in the top box, but need to do more testing. Will put up the revised version soon so others can try it too.

Yeah, how about when in the admin pages, have the sidebar populated with the admin links and use the same styling as the public pages? Then have the main admin page with info about the template/snews/whatever

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2011, 02:46:49 PM »

Hi Fred:
Well done. Clicked your Karma up a notch. :)
I like your new standard template and the new sNews Logo design.
I'll want to to work it into my latest project package to replace the existing 'vanilla' template... when winter comes along.

In the meantime, you may want to look into the following styling issues as noted in FF:

Error: document.getElementById("preview") is null.
Source File: http://frdk.com/beta/administration/
Line: 92

Warning: Unknown pseudo-class or pseudo-element 'selection'.
Ruleset ignored due to bad selector.
Source File: http://frdk.com/beta/theme/styles.php
Line: 50

Warning: Unknown property 'zoom'.
Declaration dropped.
Line: 58

Warning: Unknown property 'transform'.
Declaration dropped.
Line: 133
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2011, 05:07:29 PM »

Thanks for the karma Doug (which didn't take, unless I got pegged back again :P). As for the errors:

preview - will have to look into admin.js since it's coming from the standard toggle function (I haven't altered that one at all but I might switch to a jQuery one instead) -- oh, it might be coming from the external-links.js as well even though it's not inited in admin... (external-links may be removed from final package, not sure, but anyway shouldn't be in admin).

selection - it's a valid pseudo-class in CSS3 (ref: http://reference.sitepoint.com/css/pseudoelement-selection), but added just for a bit of fun so of no real importance. For best conformance validation, use http://validator.w3.org for HTML and http://jigsaw.w3.org for CSS (or just use http://www.w3.org/QA/Tools/ and pick the appropriate validation tool). To see its effect, use FF4+, Chrome 12+ or Safari 3+, then select some text on some page. ;)

zoom is only there to play nice with IE older than 9 for clearing divs but will most likely be removed in final package (standards-compliant browsers don't need it for clearers).

transform isn't in the CSS3 spec yet but will be (should be) in the "final" version of it. In the meantime we have to use vendor-prefixes for some CSS3 stuff (in some cases to ensure backwards compatability, in some to provide future compatability). In other words, the non-prefixed transform is there for the future. Right now it has no effect so it's no big deal.

Thanks for the report though.

@Jason: I like the admin-only sidebar idea coupled with the administration page center idea. Working on it. Only downside is I don't know if I should leave the (then) redundant administration() - commented out - in snews.php or remove it. The administration function does take up a few lines...

Have also painted the login panel a bit but am thinking more and more it could be better off in a modal window instead of an own page. Thoughts?

/* Edit: The theme has been updated. Admin styles will be changed a bit and the theme documentation isn't complete yet, other than that it's close to done. On the to-do list is some more colour options for the whole site (meaning additional stylesheets so you can pick and choose) and a couple more mods. Nothing fancy though. */
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 10:59:45 PM by Fred K »

nukpana

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2011, 01:33:27 AM »

Re: preview - You probably just need:
Code: [Select]
// generate preview
function updatePreview() {
if(  document.getElementById('preview') ) {
if (document.getElementById('ai')) {
    var body = document.getElementById('ai').value;
}
if (document.getElementById('sutxt')) {
    var body1 = document.getElementById('sutxt').value;
}
if (document.getElementById('txt')) {
    var body2 = document.getElementById('txt').value;
}
document.getElementById('preview').innerHTML = body + '<div class="summary">' + body1 + '<\/div>' + body2;
}
}

Re: theme update. I am liking alot, but I am just getting into it so I will comment more later.  The login I am thinking just a popup like so: (sorry for the bad mockup)

** Edit - where is the comments admin section?  I wanted to see how awaiting comment approvals would look and nothing shows on the side bar
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 01:37:48 AM by nukpana »

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2011, 02:41:43 AM »

Re preview (with apologies to Keyrocks - I'd made changes that had slipped my mind) - thanks. Have altered it locally and will check in FF to see what it says.

Re comments - good question, I hadn't thought of it. My bad. Will fix it. Was planning to incorporate Matt J's extra delete function anyway, so good pointer.

Thanks for the login mockup, I'll see what I can swing. I was thinking a more central location originally but that's not entirely necessary. Your suggested position may be better/more logical.

Cheers

... few minutes later ...
beta updated with admin.js fix (no bug reported in FF) and comments admin in sidebar. I'll finesse the comments admin later, when I've had my <sarcasm>beauty</sarcasm> sleep but it's working as is and I even think the extra delete button mod isn't necessary now when the admin links are in the sidebar. Could be wrong though - let me know if I am. ;)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 03:15:46 AM by Fred K »

nukpana

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2011, 04:12:07 AM »

Based on the latest update

- Admin sidebar shows on public pages - shouldn't show on user pages, only when on admin pages.
- The comment's approve alert, should be that.. more prominent - but as you said you will touch it up later. 
- Don't know Matt J's extra delete function - link?

Gotta go - Good night and be well!!

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2011, 02:40:21 PM »

- Admin sidebar shows on public pages - shouldn't show on user pages, only when on admin pages.

Yep, absolutely ... except I haven't figured out how to write that filter (yet). Right now it's just an if(!_ADMIN) {do this} else {do that} and that's (obviously) not enough. How to catch all admin-only sefs - including the ?action= ones? ... well, they're all like /?action=admin_something&idx so an array maybe. I don't know. Having a hard time as it is figuring out how to get the necessary html into the preview thing for article image... (not really important imho, it's just that I want it... ;)) scripting... bah, humbug!

Re "Matt J's extra delete mod" for comments admin, I'm actually no longer sure it was Matt that did it (although i think it was), and I can't find the link I followed to the place where the thing is, but this is the code (for administration())

if ($unapproved > 0) {
      echo '<div class="adminpanel"><h3 class="admintitle">'.l('comments').'</h3>';
      echo '<p><a onclick="toggle(\'sub1\')" style="cursor: pointer;" title="'.l('unapproved').'">'.$unapproved.' '.l('wait_approval').'</a></p>';
      echo '<div id="sub1" class="innerpanel" style="display: none;">';
      while ($r = mysql_fetch_array($result_comm)) {
          $articleTITLE = retrieve('title', 'articles', 'id', $r['articleid']);
         if (strlen($r['comment']) > '60') { $preview = substr($r['comment'],0,60).'...'; } else { $preview = $r['comment']; }
         echo '<p>'.$r['name'].' (<strong>'.$articleTITLE.'</strong>) '.l('divider').' <a href="'._SITE.'?action=editcomment&amp;commentid='.$r['id'].'">'.l('edit').'</a> <a href="'._SITE.'?action=process&amp;task=deletecomment&amp;commentid='.$r['id'].'" title="'.l('delete').' '.l('comment').'" onclick="return pop()">'.l('delete').'</a><br />&nbsp;-&nbsp;<em class="small">"'.$preview.'"</em></p>
      ';
      }

As I said, when having admin links in the sidebar, this modification is more or less redundant. I have it in another theme-in-progress though. ;)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 03:00:53 PM by Fred K »

nukpana

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2011, 10:25:59 PM »

Yep, absolutely ... except I haven't figured out how to write that filter (yet). Right now it's just an if(!_ADMIN) {do this} else {do that} and that's (obviously) not enough. How to catch all admin-only sefs - including the ?action= ones? ... well, they're all like /?action=admin_something&idx so an array maybe. I don't know.

Code: [Select]
if (
check_category($categorySEF) ||
in_array( $_GET['action'], explode( ',', l('cat_listSEF') ) )
) {
// login and admin pages
} else {
// public sidebar
}

Make sure you add edit-comment and process to the catlistSEF list.....they are not on the default download (Bug)

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2011, 11:18:29 PM »

Gotcha, thanks. Of course, the code above must be wrapped in if(_ADMIN) { } and the public sidebar repeated in another else after that, otherwise the admin sidebar appears on the login page... just fyi (you probably know that already though). Obviously none of the admin sidebar links work unless logged in, but still. Better safe than annoyed.

How's the changed "you've got comments" thing working? better?
Pages: 1 [2] 3