Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [THEME] Looking for interested beta testers  (Read 2878 times)

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
[THEME] Looking for interested beta testers
« on: August 29, 2011, 05:45:44 PM »

Hi,

I'm working on a bunch of new, original themes for sNews 1.7. The first one is close to ready but before I push it out to the general public I would like to ask if anyone is interested in trying it out? If so, take a recent web browser and go to the beta installation.

In the current state I would recommend minimum Safari 4, Firefox 4, Chrome 4, Opera 11 and IE 9 on minimum Mac OS X 10.5 or Windows 7 for desktop or laptop computers - I am not familiar with Linux but I'd suggest a recent distro. I have yet to test on handheld devices but iOS 4 (iPhone 2 or later, iPod Touch 2 or later, iPad) Android and WebOS devices should fare okay.

The currently available theme - "New Standard" - will eventually be pushed out in a number of different versions with different colour palettes and slightly different default functionalities. The beta version that is up now is the baseline version which features multi-category functionality and a custom 404 page along with a number of other modifications, including a somewhat rewritten admin interface. (The changes in the admin areas aren't all that visible but hopefully still noticeable - in a good way.)

Please try out the admin area as well when testing as it's just an important part of the theme as the public area.
Username is "admin" and password is "test"

There are some small glitches that I know of right now (and they're being fixed as I find them), the only really annoying issue I have is that I can't seem to get multiple categories to work when using prefixed database tables... but I'm working on that too, along with a complete theme documentation.

Feedback can either be posted here or, better, by using the comment and contact options on the beta site. All feedback is appreciated and will be taken into consideration for the final versions.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 04:35:46 PM by Fred K »

jesth

Re: [THEME] Looking for interested beta testers
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 07:11:09 PM »

I like it alot, and the "New Standard" as name, is kinda funny, cause last night while looking at my old sNews site, I was thinking about sNews standard theme, which I really would love to be a standard two column, with either left or right sidebar.

The current default is fine, but the sidebar has just always annoyed me.

Just a few cents from me.

Pawel

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 08:10:01 PM »

This is move in good direction, as sNews stop spreading.
Keep it more friendly give us all more fun.
Great work, I use Yours "leading photo" modification too!

nukpana

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 12:56:49 PM »

Looks good so far.  Can't access the admin area.

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 04:18:52 PM »

Thanks for the feedback so far.

@all: someone other than me had changed the username/password. If you change the username or password you have to let me know, it's not OpenSourceCMS where the system is reset every hour... okay? A little respect goes a long way.
The user/password has been reset to the original (see first post).

@jesth: I had some doubts about the name, it's really coming from the use of HTML5 - the 'new standard' in web coding. I have another theme in the pipeline that's probably more of a "standard" theme in terms of appearance - less cluttered and perhaps easier to change to your own liking.

@Pawel: thanks. Most of the new themes will have that mod included from the start.

nukpana

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 11:30:22 PM »

@all: someone other than me had changed the username/password. If you change the username or password you have to let me know, it's not OpenSourceCMS where the system is reset every hour... okay? A little respect goes a long way.
The user/password has been reset to the original (see first post).

Why not just disable changing the username/password?

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 02:08:29 AM »

Yeah, I know. Hindsight is beautiful isn't it? ;)
On the other hand, when asking the community for testing, I didn't expect I'd have to. It's basic, right?
Next time though...

Sven

• ULTIMATE member
  • Chasing MY bugs!
    • hiseo.fr - rédacteur Web
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 09:38:48 AM »

Here is the "inspecteur". Hello snoozers. Howdee?

I went to the backend and find it great (maybe some HTML5 tags missing in the editor).

Quelques remarques :

1/ don’t know why but, online, the W3C validator fails on the meta declaration for charset. It sees it twice:
For HTML4 and for HTML5:
For HTML 4.01:
Code: [Select]
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
anf for HTML5:
HTML5:
<meta charset="UTF-8">
On my side, I just declares it this way:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
    <meta charset='utf-8' />

2/ The HTML5 outliner extracts the page structure pretty well except, the NAV section which is seen as being" Untitled".

3/ I would have used more semantic tags (such as aside and section) instead of some divs which only stand for the display...

4/ ... and, maybe, more semantics elements such as Microdata attributes, and schema.org vocabularies (see: Extending HTML5 — Microdata | HTML5 Doctor : http://j.mp/mVHWV1)...

5/ In Webkit browsers there’s the default arrow appearing before the 1st line of the summary/details tag...
If you want to avoid it you can putthis line in your CSS:
details summary::-webkit-details-marker{display:none}
I have to go but I’ll be back to follow the discussion.

See you.

nukpana

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 01:12:52 PM »

On the other hand, when asking the community for testing, I didn't expect I'd have to. It's basic, right?
Putting up access to a un-administered admin area is looking for trouble.... and lots of spam

There are some small glitches that I know of right now (and they're being fixed as I find them), the only really annoying issue I have is that I can't seem to get multiple categories to work when using prefixed database tables... but I'm working on that too
I gave you that fix here: http://snewscms.com/forum/index.php?topic=9978.msg67304#msg67304

Onto comments/concerns - Everything looks fine on Linux FF 3.6, Chrome 13 and on my Android stock browser.
 - The category that has subcategories, I keep hitting the plus sign thinking it will open up..

Admin side of things.... I don't know how intensive you redid things and I don't know if it's the system or not, but here are my thoughts based on the fact that the admin section may be done

Really quickly upon initial viewing:
 - Login seems rather dull compare to the whole site
 - Base Admin view doesn't share the same Heading/List spacing as the public view
 - Category view - all text is almost blurred into each other (if that makes sense) everything is almost the same size and same font weight - Subcat list *is* smaller though....
 - New/Edit Articles/Pages - For a rewrite I would have moved the SEF titles to customize
 - The article image/alt should really be a part of Customize - making the top portion cleaner and easier to get to the the main article writing

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 04:58:04 PM »

Great feedback guys - thanks. I'll revise the theme with these points in mind, let me just address a couple of points.

Quote from: Sven
the meta declaration for charset
Yep, I'm aware of it and the final version will only have the HTML5 charset declaration. The reason I included the older charset line was to enable testing in older gen iOS browsers (first version iPod Touch and iPhone primarily) since they don't understand the <meta charset> tag. Also I wasn't sure if Opera understands it yet, but as I said the deprecated one will not be included in the final version.

Quote from: Sven
In Webkit browsers there’s the default arrow appearing
Ah - due to circumstances I'm restricted to working with Mac OS 10.4 and Safari 4 which doesn't have the latest rendering capabilities for some HTML5 elements so I haven't followed the very latest development that closely (since Safari 4 won't show them anyway). Thanks for the CSS tip, I wasn't aware of it. Guess I'll need to check if Modernizr checks for these things now and possibly include it (there were a few important elements that Modernizr didn't check for when I checked it last).

Quote from: nukpana
I gave you that fix here: http://snewscms.com/forum/index.php?topic=9978.msg67304#msg67304
The fix is included. Everything works except that subcategory list drops the parent category leg in the url when using prefix'd tables - not so with non-prefix'd tables. Haven't had time to test all different scenarios yet but I think the issue is with the stand-alone subcat listing and not the multi-cat mod. It's one of the things I'm still working on.

I keep hitting the plus sign thinking it will open up
But it does? Granted, with only one subcat in the list it may not be that visible, but pointing on the category that has subcats will show the subcatlist on the right side of the list. I'm not overly happy with the subcatlist design but I didn't want the category list to "jump" too much when showing subcats, hence the popup. That said, the plus sign was a last minute addition - I'll rethink it.

Login seems rather dull
It's a login panel... ;)
I see what you mean and it's considered, the idea was to keep the login area as simple as possible.

Regarding the admin rewrite - restructuring the admin panels took more time than anticipated so there's probably more details than the one's you've pointed out that need refining. I'll start with tweaking the admin styles since I don't entirely agree with you on the positioning of the additional bits (and SEF title? in customize? why?)
The workflow is slightly different with the article image and summary positioned as they are... I'll try a few things and see where I end up. For me they feel in the right position but...

@Philippe - Regarding microformat elements: I haven't included a lot of them in the theme simply because I haven't got that far in my own daily use yet, and like most people I tend to use things that I'm comfortable with. Adding microformat elements where you need them isn't much of a problem but knowing which microformat elements to include in the theme is. I feel that it's probably better left up to the individual user at this time. <time datetime> is one that's included in the theme, and as i get more comfortable with the elements more will probably be used, at least general ones. Thanks for the push though, I'll certainly keep it in mind.

Anyway, this is why I wanted you guys to try it out, so thanks for all the input so far. Very helpful.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 05:12:23 PM by Fred K »

jesth

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 05:29:25 PM »

I really like it, yes I already commented, but I just really like it, one thing though, date of posting, am I blind, or is missing on purpose? I know it's there when you click the article link, but i'd like to see it on the main page too.

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 08:39:12 PM »

Thanks jesth. The dateline is missing from index pages on purpose, I haven't decided on the final look for the datestamp yet. Most likely the date will be on the index pages as well in the final version, but probably just as a calendar thingy.

@Philippe - I've added a couple of HTML buttons in my local editor (section, figure, time). Any other ones you feel need to be in there? Hmm... aside perhaps should be in there as well. Probably.

nukpana

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 11:59:36 PM »

The fix is included. Everything works except that subcategory list drops the parent category leg in the url when using prefix'd tables - not so with non-prefix'd tables. Haven't had time to test all different scenarios yet but I think the issue is with the stand-alone subcat listing and not the multi-cat mod. It's one of the things I'm still working on.
Let me know if you need help with that...

Login seems rather dull
It's a login panel... ;)
I see what you mean and it's considered, the idea was to keep the login area as simple as possible.

Regarding the admin rewrite - restructuring the admin panels took more time than anticipated so there's probably more details than the one's you've pointed out that need refining. I'll start with tweaking the admin styles since I don't entirely agree with you on the positioning of the additional bits (and SEF title? in customize? why?)
The workflow is slightly different with the article image and summary positioned as they are... I'll try a few things and see where I end up. For me they feel in the right position but...
re: SEF - Why not?  I mean technically you are "customizing" the url if you are attempting to edit it right?  Compromise - I still think the text box shouldn't be as prominent as it is - just a thought.
I am really not seeing the workflow you are referring to with the article image - again I think it is an option that should be placed as such.

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 03:25:23 AM »

Let me know if you need help with that...
Thanks, will PM you about it ... done more testing and it seems the issue is infact with multi-cats but I'll be damned if I can figure out why... As noted earlier, PRE_ additions should all be in place.

Re. SEF - I see the point. I didn't mess with the order because people will (I assume) be used to having sef title next to title, but that's no real argument for not changing... I'm experimenting a bit locally and will see how I feel about it ;)

The point about the workflow comes from the order that things appear when you view an article as a "normal" user, e.g. Title > Dateline > Article image > Summary > Article text > Associated links > Comments. But again, that's no real excuse, it just felt like a natural workflow. But I'm experimenting with your suggested positioning locally (same as with sef title).

Cheers

Sven

• ULTIMATE member
  • Chasing MY bugs!
    • hiseo.fr - rédacteur Web
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 08:44:05 AM »

@Philippe - I've added a couple of HTML buttons in my local editor (section, figure, time). Any other ones you feel need to be in there? Hmm... aside perhaps should be in there as well. Probably.
AMHA (means: OMHO), aside and section should be out of the article (in the template or in the core)...
figcaption and mark, maybe?

And video and audio into a function?
Pages: [1] 2 3