Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest sNews - sNews 1.7 - with its own forums - for discussion and user mods.

Author Topic: File Manager problem  (Read 1169 times)

kmadsen

• Santa Cruz al Salvador
File Manager problem
« on: March 30, 2011, 08:16:40 AM »

I have an installation of 1.6 MU which generally has been running well for several years.  I have a problem now in the File Manager section of Admin.

When I log in as the admin user and select "Files" to display the FIle Manager panel, the display stops after the "file to upload" field and I don't see the list of files in the "root" directory of the site as usual, nor do I have the "folder" field for upload.  Any ideas?

Some additional information -- the web browser's busy indicator keeps going for awhile after the upload field is displayed, before the page is "done".

Kent
“Every exit is an entrance somewhere else” — Tom Stoppard, British playwright

KuJoe

• JMD.cc
Re: File Manager problem
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 08:43:56 AM »

I'm new to sNews so I have no experience with 1.6 or even MU but I've got a few questions that might help troubleshoot the issue:

1) Did this just recently start happening or is this the first time you've tried to upload a file and noticed the problem?
2) Does this happen in all browsers?
3) Which browser(s) do you use?

kmadsen

• Santa Cruz al Salvador
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 07:49:40 AM »

Reasonable questions, KuJoe --

I have used the file upload quite extensively over the several years this site has been in place.  It broke about 6 months ago, and I don't remember anything specific happening before I noticed it was broken.

I normally use Firefox, and I just checked with Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer (8) -- they all fail similarly. Internet Explorer did have an error (the little triangle with an exclamation point) that says:

Line: 5
Char: 5280
Code: 0
URI: http://www.santacruzalsalvador.org/js/swfobject.js

I haven't gotten into the code, but it seems like the next step is to see what it is doing after it displays the "file to upload" field.  Nothing else on the screen is displayed (e.g. footer), so something is stopping the program from continuing.

Kent
“Every exit is an entrance somewhere else” — Tom Stoppard, British playwright

KuJoe

• JMD.cc
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 09:20:25 AM »

Hmmm, I don't have a swfobject.js in my /js/ folder, is this specific to 1.6 and/or MU?

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 05:00:14 PM »

swfobject.js is a script used for displaying Flash items in an unobtrusive way (check out http://code.google.com/p/swfobject for a more in-depth explanation). I don't think it's part of MU - it's definitely not part of 1.6 (or 1.7) - but more likely some custom addition Kent has.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 06:07:34 PM »

Fred's assumption is correct. swfobject.js is not included or used in the default sNewsMU 1.6.3 package (the currently available download). It must have been added by someone else. Here's the commented-out note in your file:

/*   SWFObject v2.0 rc4 <http://code.google.com/p/swfobject/>
   Copyright (c) 2007 Geoff Stearns, Michael Williams, and Bobby van der Sluis
   This software is released under the MIT License <http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php>
*/

@ Kent... what are you using for the "Upcoming Events" block in the right side-bar on your home page? It's identical to one being used on an asp.NET site I frequent and I'd like to see how I might be able to use it in an sNews site.  :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 06:10:54 PM by Keyrocks »
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU